Month: September 2014
The Tourism Intelligence Unit at the Office for National Statistics has published a report on changes in tourism employment in the UK between 2009 and 2013. This can be accessed at: https://britishdestinations.net/1194-2/content/employment-in-tourism-industries-2009-2013-2014/
The key points from the release are as follows:
- Employment in UK tourism industries increased at nearly double the rate of the rest of the UK labour market between 2009 and 2013 (5.4% increase, rising 143,000 from 2.66 million to 2.81 million)
- Most of the growth in tourism employment was part-time work between 2009 and 2013 increasing 6.8% or 72,000 from 1.06 million to 1.13 million.
- The number of workers who would like to work more hours within the food and beverage serving industry group has increased at over double the rate of the rest of the UK labour market between 2009 and 2013 (49.0% increase, rising 100,000 from 1.14 million to 1.24 million)
- Self-employment has increased at double the rate of the rest of the UK labour market within the UK cultural, sports, recreation and conference activities industry group between 2009 and 2013 (21.9% increase, rising 41,000 from 188,000 to 229,000)
- Temporary employment within main jobs in the UK tourism industry has grown cumulatively by 16.6% between 2009 and 2013, in comparison to 12.5% within UK non-tourism industries (rising 29,000 from 231,000 to 260,000)
Colleagues seek information and views on the value local weather stations: https://britishdestinations.net/need-an-answer/questions-awaiting-answers/local-weather-stations/
We will be starting the process of collecting data from individual members for the Destination Intelligence survey 2014 very soon. The planned deadline for your individual destination submissions is Friday 19 December 2014, so please plan and prepare accordingly.
Sergi Jarques will be contacting all those members who took part last year to give you more detail and providing the basic template with last year’s core data already included. Anyone who didn’t take part in this free membership service in 2013 but wishes to in 2014, or would at least like discuss the merits of doing so should contact Sergi now .
Meanwhile please remember that all the Destination Intelligence data and reports collected and produced by DP UK and latterly British Destinations over the last 10 years are now available exclusively to British Destinations’ members on the destination intelligence website: http://destinationintelligence.wordpress.com/
Please note the entire site is protected using a different login to BritishDestinations.net. However, the link to the destination intelligence site, together with the site’s password can always be found on a protected page on BritishDestinations.net at: https://britishdestinations.net/destination-intelligence/destination-intelligence-website-and-login-detail/ using the normal protected page login . If you have forgotten or never had the British Destinations.net login, then simply email me now.
The minutes of the AGM and the joint Board and Executive meeting held during conference in June are now available at:
These are protected page and if you have not logged in recently you may be asked for the members password. If you have not had it or have forgotten, provided your organisation is in membership, then just email a request for it to me here.
|World Travel Market|
|Dear Colleague,As a valued Association member, Reed Exhibitions would like to invite you to attend World Travel Market – the leading global event for the travel industry, held 3-6 November 2014.
By registering now you will receive four day access to the event – this includes exclusive access to Monday, normally reserved for exhibitor invitees.
Register for WTM here:
View the email invitation online at: