Month: February 2015
Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) have announced initial detail of a new £3m at-risk heritage fund and a £1m Coastal Community Teams scheme. More information can be accessed at:
1. The annual Destination Intelligence Survey which is a free British Destinations member’s benefit is about to close for 2014/15. Those who have not yet participated can still do so but you’ll have to be quick Partial data can be submitted and is still useful. (see detail here).
Participation levels have been excellent this year. The individual destination, category group and full membership reports will be published and made available, together with the historic data for the previous decade, on our protected Destination Intelligence site during the last two weeks of March: https://destinationintelligence.wordpress.com/ . The log in detail, for this site is different to the corporate site but is available via a protected page on our corporate website (see the drop down menu from the “About Destination Intelligence” menu tab).
2. We are regularly adding research and statistical reports of national significance to our research and statistics library. Recent offerings include the Economic Downturn and the “Staycation”, Coastal Communities Fund Progress Report and The London Review 2013 -14. These and 50 plus other reports can be found at: https://britishdestinations.net/research-and-statistics/ .
3. The latest offering from the Tourism Intelligence Unit (TIU) at Office for National Statistics (ONS) covers the provisional international passenger survey (international inbound and domestic outbound). It is of particular interest as it covers the third quarter of 2014, July to September, essentially the core summer season months. These ONS figure have already been reported in part by VB and others. However, some may find the purely factual ONS reporting style and the benefits of having access to all the source data in one publication helpful.
The section on oversea travel by UK residents pages 4, 5 and 6 is particularly enlightening; helping perhaps to highlight the potential fragility of the “staycation effect” and the scale of both the market and financial benefits available should we continue to be able to retain and even building on it.: 2015 ONS third quarter provisional IPS results
The think tank, the Centre for Entrepreneurs, seeks examples of entrepreneurship in action in coastal destinations for possible inclusion in a book to be published this summer: https://britishdestinations.net/599-2/content/entrepreneurship-in-coastal-destinations/
I have posted an update on the Coastal Communities Fund as a protected page. Its content should be of direct interest to all coastal members, coastal counties, rural coastal and coastal city members in England Wales and Northern Ireland. It may be of some limited general interest to none coastal members.
Please note and adhere to the caveats contained in this briefing note regarding the wider discussion of its content:
Members who have not had or have forgotten the protected page log in should email me here.
The note on a recent Tourism Alliance meeting with Helen Grant MP the DCMS Minister for Tourism, together the content of a Tourism Alliance letter on the subject of sub regional tourism structures in England sent to the Minister at her behest following that meeting, can now be accessed by British Destination members at paragraph 2 of the following protected page:
Members who have not had or who have forgotten the protected page login can request a reminder here.
Please note that having logged in to the protected pages the site will remember you on future visits from the same devices for an indeterminate period and then randomly forget you again when it see fit to do so. This is not the best way to encourage folk to remember an occasionally used login I know but it’s not of my choosing. It may be worth writing it down. The login detail will change again soon to reflect a new membership year.
1. Colleagues will be saddened to hear that Sir William Lawrence Bt OBE Chairman of Tourism for All, local Councillor for Stratford-on-Avon and stalwart champion of British tourism, died on 10 February after a brief illness. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.
2. VisitBritain have released the monthly figure for December 2014, as this is the last month in 2014 they also effectively give the provisional figure for 2014 as a whole. See link within paragraph 5 on our protected page: https://britishdestinations.net/members-area/content/visitbritain-november-2013-latest-edition-of-forsights-and-vb-trend-updates/
3. VisitEngland’s latest Destination Communication and the first edition of their February bi-monthly ENews are now accessible via paragraph 1 and 2 of our protected page: https://britishdestinations.net/members-area/content/ve-staycation-2013-debrief/
As one of the many added value membership benefits offered we maintain a popular public facing website that also automatically populates your page on our public facing Facebook presence. Both are offered free to you but you do need to occasionally update your own page entry to make it work well.
In the face of significant pre-season traffic and a steady flow of brochure requests being generated by the site, its past time to ask you all to do an annual checks and updates ( a few minutes work for most). The what and how is described at: https://britishdestinations.net/members-area/content/www-britishdestinations-co-uk/
Id’ be grateful you take the time to make sure that whoever is responsible for the task gets to see this message.