1. The Tourism Intelligence Unit (TIU) at the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has published a Tourism Satellite Account for the UK for 2012. Due to revisions to the national accounts published by ONS, on which the TSA is based, it has also been necessary in this release to revise the entire back-series of UK-TSAs from 2008-2011 and a full set of TSA tables for each of those years is included.
They have also applied a ‘nowcasting’ technique to the UK-TSA to provide estimates of some of the key aggregate measures from the TSA for 2013 and 2014, for instance Tourism Direct GVA. Some of the main figures to emerge from the analysis are as follows:
- Tourism Direct Gross Value Added (GVA) was £57.3 billion in 2012.
- Tourism Direct Employment rose from 1.46 million in 2011 to 1.53 million in 2012.
- The number of Tourism Direct Full-time Equivalents rose from 1.15 million in 2011 to 1.22 million in 2012.
- Domestic tourism expenditure rose from £99.8 billion in 2011 to £106.6 billion in 2012.
- Inbound tourism expenditure rose from £21.0 billion in 2011 to £21.8 billion in 2012.
- Tourism Direct GVA was estimated to be £58.7 billion in 2013 and £59.6 billion in 2014.
See this and other major UK wide and home nation reports in the Britishdestinations.net reports and statics library at:
2. Also recently added: desk research entitled 2015 Coastal Tourism from the National Coastal Academy available in the library at the same link above.
3. Additionally we have recently updated the:
- VB reports and statistics page at: https://britishdestinations.net/members-area/content/visitbritain-november-2013-latest-edition-of-forsights-and-vb-trend-updates/
- The VE reports page at: https://britishdestinations.net/members-area/content/ve-staycation-2013-debrief/
- The VisitWales page at: https://britishdestinations.net/members-area/content/wales-visitor-survey-2013/
- The Northern Ireland Tourist Board page at: https://britishdestinations.net/members-area/content/northern-ireland-tourist-board/
- and added the latest edition of Tourism Around Europe Newsletter at: https://britishdestinations.net/members-area/content/tourism-around-europe-quarterly-newsletter/