Purpose of Post:
Visit Wales is responsible for promoting Wales as a visitor destination in the UK and internationally. Our work helps to build Wales’s profile; and generates an economic return of around £350m per annum. Over the last three years we have helped transform Wales’s destination brand and developed a reputation for our high-quality thematic campaigns, digital innovation, major global partnerships, and targeted engagement with tour operators.
As part of an integrated Wales marketing team the post-holder will take lead responsibility for deploying tourism marketing as the flag-carrier for our promotion of Wales. In doing so, they will build on the unified Wales brand and drive a culture-shift to content-led marketing.
They will deliver multi-channel marcomms in the UK, Ireland, Germany and the USA – and oversee B2B programmes aimed at travel operators internationally. They will work with partners across Wales; VisitBritain and other UK agencies; and commercial brands.
Our current approach centres on using themes to promote Wales and the post-holder will devise and deliver all marketing for the 2019 Year of Discovery, and future themed-years.
The initial focus will be on helping to grow the visitor economy by 10% to 2020, but the post-holder will also be required to help the organisation and industry prepare beyond 2020 – with in-depth market knowledge, and strategic insight and vision.
The role includes delivering outstanding short-term campaigns; and long-term transformative ideas and initiatives to evolve the tourism industry for the future.
For full details of this role, please see the Candidate Pack (link).
- Build on the unified brand for Wales as part of an integrated Wales Marketing team.
- Develop a strong digital led brand for Wales, with a focus on the visitwales.com platform.
- Deploy tourism marketing as the main flag carrier for our promotion of Wales in the UK and internationally.
- Lead the work of developing and implementing of the annual ‘Year of’ programmes.
- Manage a large team to deliver impactful marketing with an impressive ROI.
- Oversee all aspects of the travel trade programme, boosting its economic return.
- Work across Government on a consistent approach to promoting Wales in key territories.
- Work with colleagues in Business Events Wales to grow the value of this sector to the Welsh economy.
- Harness market insight and trend data to inspire internal and external stakeholders.
- Deliver a coordinated programme of industry engagement to share and embed the brand approach, develop innovative and bookable products, including The Wales Way, and grow capacity across Wales.
- Lead on route development and promotional activity.
- Establish ambitious commercial partnerships via a partnership framework.
- Develop meaningful external relations with key stakeholders.
Welsh Language Requirements
The Welsh Government acknowledges the importance of developing and growing its bilingual workforce, and welcomes applications for any post from candidates who demonstrate their capability to work in both English and Welsh.
The following list of language requirements represents an objective assessment by the line manager on behalf of the Welsh Government of the Welsh language skills required to undertake the duties of this particular post.
Competencies / Job Specific Criteria
- Changing and Improving: Encourage and recognise a culture of initiative and innovation focused on adding value – give people space and praise for creativity.
- Leading and Communicating: Clarify strategies and plans, communicate purpose and direction with clarity and enthusiasm.
- Leading and Communicating: Confidently engage with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels to generate commitment to goals.
- Delivering at Pace: Review, challenge and adjust performance levels to ensure quality outcomes are delivered on time, rewarding success.
- Significant marketing/communications experience at a senior level in the private or public sectors within a relevant field – with a sound knowledge of Wales.
- Senior experience of leading teams to develop and deliver ambitious strategies and plans and of taking these to market in a UK/international context
- Proven experience of delivering major, flagship marcomms projects that are award-winning, brand-defining and effective: working with high-profile stakeholders to deliver measurable results.
How to apply
All applications for this vacancy should be made online via the Welsh Government’s online application system. If you have a disability which would prevent you from applying on-line, please e-mail SharedServiceHelpdesk@gov.wales to request an application pack in an alternative format, or to request a reasonable adjustment related to a disability in order to submit your application.
To apply, you’ll need to have an account on our online application system. Click the ‘Apply’ button below, and you’ll be asked to ‘Log in’ if you already have an account, or ‘Register’ if you don’t yet have an account. Registration takes just a few minutes to complete. You’ll need an e-mail address to be able to register. Once you’ve registered for an account and logged in, you’ll be taken to the online application form, which you’ll need to fully complete and submit before the deadline on the closing date.
If you’d like to apply for this vacancy in Welsh, please use the ‘Newid Iaith / Change Language’ link at the top of this page, to take you to the Welsh version of this advert, from which you can apply in Welsh.
For further information regarding the Welsh Government recruitment process, please see the Recruitment Guidance for External Candidates (link).
When evidencing your suitability for the post, it is recommended that you refer to the Civil Service Competency Framework (link)